Tales of a Writing Teen

When you think of teenagers, do you think of lazy, punk, kids, who are spoiled brats and do nothing? I want to change your idea of teens. We're determined. We're motivated. We're busier than ever. We have dreams. Mine is to be a writer, and I'm working toward it.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Birthday Yesterday

Yesterday was my birthday. Pretty good overall, yummy cake, good presents, standard birthday stuff. It was hectic though. My brother was getting his stuff ready for college, I had to clean the fishbowl, had to jet to improv class downtown, and then had an orientation. Craziness!

On the agent front, I received a rejection. What a stinger, a rejection on your birthday. It was a cold one too, your standard form rejection, not even with my name inserted. It was a generic, "Dear Writer," letter. However, I find these query rejections don't hurt that much anymore. What hurts is when you send out a partial to an agent and then they reject you, because you have some hope that maybe they'll just want your full manuscript.

I've hardly done any work on my new novel. I'm excited about the idea though. I think I'll go and write now.

6 Comments:

At 11:48 AM, Blogger Kimber An said...

Hi! Thought I'd stop in after reading your funny comment at Kristin's blog. I enjoyed your introduction about what people think of teens. I write for teens and have to deal with this attitude all the time when adults critique my story. Once I refresh their memories on how it feels to be a teen, they get over it. Or, I just delete their membership from my private queue over at Critique Circle. Have you ever been there? www. critiquecircle.com There's lots of teen writers there, some of whom crit for me. They have a board just for teens too. Pop on over!

 
At 6:56 PM, Anonymous Nancy R. Callahan said...

Happy (belated) birthday! And congrats on your success so far! That's fantastic. Definitely keep us posted on the responses to your partials/full. :)

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger Marilyn said...

Happy belated birthday! I'm sorry you received a rejection on your birthday.

Hope you had a nice day anyway.

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Bill Fullerton said...

i've reached that stage in life when my birthdays are less a source of excitement for being a year older than a source of relief that I've somehow managed to make it through another year.

That said, I'm not so old I don't recall how special they once were. Hope you had a happy birthday.

Bill

 
At 1:18 AM, Anonymous Matt D said...

Happy belated birthday!

 
At 10:06 PM, Anonymous AS said...

Funny, just came across your blog googling an agent you mention. I have the same birthday (but 16 years on you!) and I too got a rejection that day. Fingers crossed for both of us!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home