Tales of a Writing Teen

When you think of teenagers, do you think of lazy, punk, kids, who are spoiled brats and do nothing? I want to change your idea of teens. We're determined. We're motivated. We're busier than ever. We have dreams. Mine is to be a writer, and I'm working toward it.

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Rejection, Finding More Agents, and Reading Blogs

This post may be a little bit of everything (ok, of three things), so excuse me if I jump around.

Well, yesterday, I had a bad day. I'm not going to go into an indepth explanation. Let me say three words. Bus. German. Rain. Try to figure that out. Ha, you can't, but feel free to invent scenarios about a bad day involving those three words. Maybe it will jog your mind and amuse me. Ok, so I was thinking, today would be a great day to get some good news in my imbox. It would totally cheer me up. Then, I get home and find an email from Maya Rock. Rejection. Sigh, sigh, sigh.

Lately, I've been searching for more agents to send to. I know I have sent tons of queries and haven't received repliese to all of them yet. It's been a little bit over a month, ooh, almost two months now (how time flies!) since I sent out a pretty huge batch of e-queries. Since then I've read about other querying methods which don't involve sending out around sixty e-queries in a week. If I had done the small batch method, maybe I would've sent out better queries, but no time for regrets. Anyway, I'm trying to accumulate a list of ten agents, specifically so when Rachel Vater's query workshop comes along, I could get feedback. She also said she might reccomend agents that might like a peice, so imagine how helpful that would be.

Rachel Vater's blog is amazing, but she hasn't posted lately. I'm dying to read about more queries, dying, I tell you! http://raleva31.livejournal.com is the address. Miss Snark's Crapometer is a good read, though I must admit, I don't read all those first pages. I read the queries and then go straight to her comments. Maybe I will never cut it as a slush reader. http://misssnark.blogspot.com/ is her address. Hmm, I wonder if Miss Snark might be a guy...it's possible... I've also been reading Kristin Nelson's blog. She seems like such a sweet agent. Too bad I sent her a query early and not a nice, revised, knock her socks off one. http://pubrants.blogspot.com// is her address.

As for my WIP, I will admit it here. I have been a slacker. Haven't written all week. I know I'm shameful, but hey, I've come up with some ideas and wrote a few things for my writing class. Does that count for anything?

7 Comments:

At 6:44 PM, Blogger Bk30 said...

another good agent blog is pubrant
http://pubrants.blogspot.com

As for the not writing for a week, don't be so hard on yourself(we'll do that for you). As long as you are writing something that's the important part.

 
At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is just a thought, but reading your blog, I'm seeing a heck of a lot of misspellings and grammar errors. Are you having someone proofread your work before you send it out? I haven't the slightest idea of whether your writing is any good beyond the mistakes, but that's sort of the point: neither will an agent. I used to work in publishing, and while I'd excuse the occasional error or typo now and then, my limit was three. When I got to three, I would stop reading.

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Fourteen Year Old Writer said...

Yes, I proofread my novel before sending it out. This, on the other hand, is a personal blog and I don't really have the time to proofread it. I'm sorry if any of my mistakes peturb you, but you don't have to read my blog. I do thank you for the honest and constructive criticism, however.

 
At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Olivia said...

hi Megan!
i am 15 and i am also want-to-be writer. I d like to talk with u more personaly so if u want too u can write me on
Icq 333-970-371
or to my mail atmosphere@catlover.com

 
At 5:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep writing. Not an an impressive level yet, but you may have potential. Sadly, people do not base off potential --- some do, most in the publishing business do not.

Keep at it, and try not to use your age as some kind of marketing tool. I may be in the wrong here, but try not to whore yourself out.

 
At 1:08 AM, Anonymous Angelle Trieste said...

Hi Megan,

I saw your query over at Rachel Vater's blog. How wonderful! Definitely check out PubRants (Kristin Nelson...one of the sweetest agents I know).

As for other agent blogs, check out the following:

http://bookendslitagency.blogspot.com/
http://arcaedia.livejournal.com/
http://litsoup.blogspot.com/
http://agentobscura.livejournal.com/
http://nephele.livejournal.com/
http://knightagency.blogspot.com/

I added you to my blogroll also so I can stop by and see how you're doing. Have fun writing! :)

 
At 12:06 AM, Blogger Thomma Lyn said...

Hi, Megan! Thought I'd check out your blog - very nice! You've seen me on Absolute Write as Pellegrina Leoni.

Congrats on getting a query critique on Rachel Vater's blog. You've got an impressive level of discipline and dedication when it comes to your writing goals. Keep it up, and you'll go far. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home