Tales of a Writing Teen

When you think of teenagers, do you think of lazy, punk, kids, who are spoiled brats and do nothing? I want to change your idea of teens. We're determined. We're motivated. We're busier than ever. We have dreams. Mine is to be a writer, and I'm working toward it.

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Slogging Through My WIP

Sorry I haven't posted lately. I've been busy with the first week of school. Quite hectic!

Anyway, I'm in a sad point in my WIP. For those not in the know, WIP means Work In Progress. When I first joined the Absolute Write board, I had no idea w hat WIP meant. The part I'm at in the novel involves a lot of depressing rants from the main character. It's tough to write, so I'm slogging through it. I think slogging would be the correct word. This novel is much harder to write than the first one. I don't think one of the important characters is fleshed out enough. I need to have more time where the characters get to know each other and develop. The pace is way too fast. AH, the problems!

I plan on getting through the rough draft, getting out the story, and then going through and perfecting it in the revisions. I hope that works.

13 Comments:

At 9:36 PM, Blogger Dama Negra said...

Yeah, school has a way of interfering with writing time, huh?

Don't give up, though. Teen angst will help you through the 'depressing' parts of your WIP.

 
At 7:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Earn up to 35 percent CASH BACK on all your online purchases! We work directly with all your favorite sites to SAVE YOU MONEY. Click here for more info!

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Pass The Torch said...

I thing "slogging" is a perfect word. I hope you have a great start to your schoolyear. I notice you've already gotten some spam. You can deleite that from your comments. (Click the little garbage can.)

 
At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Nancy said...

Good luck with the slogging. :)

Any news on the agent front?

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Marilyn said...

You have a lot more self discipline than I did at 14! Keep slogging away at it. :)

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger Harbormaster said...

I think work interferes with writing! Good luck on your project.

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger Bk30 said...

It's the sloggy parts that make writing so hard. I have one where the MC is stuck in a barn..no idea how I'm getting him out of there either...he's been there a week now and no escape in site, poor guy. LOL.
Try putting it aside for a bit and work another piece.

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Bill Fullerton said...

You spotted your problem and then gave the solution. In the immortal words of Larry the Cable Guy, "Git-R-Done." To quote another well-known American, Ernest Hemingway, "All first drafts are crap." (okay, maybe that was a close paraphrase, so sue me)

For the time being, just concentrate on telling the story. Sweat technique in later drafts. Hang in there.

Bill

 
At 1:20 AM, Anonymous Matt D said...

That's always the hardest part... the editing. Good luck.

 
At 6:49 AM, Anonymous Gooch said...

Keep slogging away!

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Mad Scientist Matt said...

Hang in there. I've found the only way to get through difficult parts in the book is to just sit down and type 'till it's done.

 
At 10:46 AM, Anonymous Razib Ahmed said...

Really, you are like a role model for me. I am now 31 and still highly disorganized. Please, wrtie more often in this blog so that I can get some inspiration.

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Michele Lee said...

I always wrote best when I was supposed to be listening in class :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home