Tales of a Writing Teen

When you think of teenagers, do you think of lazy, punk, kids, who are spoiled brats and do nothing? I want to change your idea of teens. We're determined. We're motivated. We're busier than ever. We have dreams. Mine is to be a writer, and I'm working toward it.

Monday, November 20, 2006

Nanowrimo and HarperTeen Fanlit

This year I'm participating in Nanowrimo. I bet most of you are writers and have heard of it. Just in case you haven't, Nanowrimo is National Novel Writing Month, held every November. The challenge is to write 50,000 words in one month.

I'm actually not too far behind. It's around 30,000 words. The Nano novel is something unlike what I normally write. It's a YA urban fantasy with psychics, mind readers, witches, and warlocks, and it's tons of fun. Also, it's in third person! I'm finding third person more challenging and I want to return to my beloved first for the next book. Still, Nanowrimo is a good time to experiment with things I normally don't do.

I would tell you all, if you aren't already, to participate in Nano. But it's already Nov. 20th, but hey, maybe ya'll are just super speedy! http://www.nanowrimo.org is the website, and it's chock full of goodies.

I'm also doing a contest for teenagers, HarperTeen Fanlit. Go to http://www.harperteenfanlit.com If you are under 21, you can probably still register. Anyway, the contest is run by the HarperTeen people. They are the publisher of Meg Cabot! There's storylines posted and you have to write a chapter according to the storyline. Others involved in the contest rate your story rand leave comments. Then, the top 10 are voted on. The next storyline is based off of the winning chapter. There's some pretty amazing prizes, such as a chance to go to New York City and meet the editors at HarperTeen, a $5,000 scholarship, and gift cards. I'd reccomend to it any teen that writes.

I haven't been doing too hot though. Each chapter my ranking improves though. Last chapter, one of my entries was 81st, and I suppose that's decent. Also, there are many bandits who attack entries, giving them 0's, 1's, and 1.5's. It's quite depressing.

So that's what I've been up to in this fabulous month of November. What about you?

3 Comments:

At 10:20 PM, Anonymous Tori said...

Good luck with the HarperTeen FanLit contest. I was going to enter it, but realized that Canadians aren't eligible. It's fun to browse, though. Have fun!

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Lisa McMann said...

Good job on Nano. I've been aware of it for 3 or 4 years, but I've never participated. I balk at following rules and feeling pressured. But! I have written a few novels in 30 days or less. So, I kinda do my own sort of Nano.

Hey 14...writer, if you get a chance, come stop by my blog. I need your opinion on yesterday's post.

 
At 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

just thought I'd let you know a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
http://www.degree-programs-online.info/makingcash.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home